Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ok here we go...

Jumping on the bandwagon here.  A couple months ago my wife created a blog called http://ieatcarbs.blogspot.com/ .  She has inspired me to do the same.  Please bare with me as I am not nearly as eloquent or well spoken as she is.  It took a good 4 months after my wife started working out and eating right for me to reach a point where I felt like I had to do something.

Last February, I decided to have a small get together for the winter Olympics curling finals.  I went to the store and bought an endless amount of queso, chips, twizzlers, beer, and various other "party foods"  The sheer amount of food I consumed throughout that day was amazing.  I know for a fact that I single handedly consumed 1lb of twizzlers.  Anyways, when I woke up the next morning I felt absolutely horrible.  As I went to take a shower, I decided to step on the scale.  297.  I was 3 pounds shy of weighing 300.  I was disgusted.  I hadn't realized that I had put on so much weight over the years.


This picture was taken last November.


I called Stacy that morning (she was in Chicago at the time visiting friends) and told her that I wanted to lose weight and that when she got home we needed to go shopping (for healthy food).  Stacy had been doing Slim in 6 and eating a low fat diet since October.  She had already lost 25 or 30 pounds by then.  I decided I was going to go the weight watchers route because of I didn't want to work out and I have issues with portion control. (see pic above)  Over the first couple of months I dropped about 20 pounds very quickly just from watching what I was sticking in my food hole.  

Then I hit a plateau.  

I went about 3 weeks hovering around 275.  I knew what the solution was but I just didn't want to do it....Exercise.  UGH!  I am not, nor have I ever been anything close to an athlete.  I'm a geeky gamer person who would much rather veg out in a recliner than go outside and soak in some vitamin D.  I finally gave in and tried out the Slim in 6 workout that my wife had been using.  It wasn't that bad.  I'm lying the first few times was that bad.  20 minutes of low impact aerobics for a sedentary person at 275 lbs was like torture.  At least the lady on the DVD wasn't hard too on the eyes.  But something awesome started happening.  The numbers on the scale started going down again.  

Around 262 pounds I started doing the before/after pics.  I really wish I would have done one at 297 but I just didn't think about it at that time.  

262...Dead sexy I know!



If you just threw up on your keyboard, I'm not buying you a new one.  Anyways,  it is now September.  Yesterday I hit 227.  Since February I've lost 70 lbs.  I feel great: 



I know it's not a huge difference, but at least there's a difference!





Right now I have 2 goals:
1.  Hit 200 by January 1, 2011.
2.  Don't jiggle when you brush your teeth.  

Anyways, that's where I'm at right now.  If your looking to be inspired here's what I've got:

When you wake up in the morning and you feel like you've reached that point where you really want to do something about your weight and health.  Act on it.  At first it's gonna suck.  You're gonna think that you're gonna starve to death and it's not gonna work.  You'll be sore.  Plain worn out!  Stick to it!  Persevere!  It get's easier!

1 comment: